The short-form mobile video app TikTok has quickly taken over the social media, and if you are a teenager, you must have heard of the app by now. The video creating app owned by Alex Zhu merged with Musicaly.ly app in December 2017, and since then it has been downloaded by over 800 million users around the globe. A single TikTok user has thousands of followers, sometimes bought and sometimes through organic means. More followers indicate that the videos shared are liked by a large number of audiences.
TikTok is China’s owned media app for creating and sharing short videos, mainly of people trying to lip-sync to different songs. The app was initially introduced as “Douyin” in China in September 2016 and launched to the overseas market as “TikTok” one year later. Users can upload videos on the platform in which they can dance, sing, lip-sync, or just talk. One can also see other users content on the platform and use an entirely different range of topics, songs, and styles.
In this long-headed tutorial, we will cover some essential things you need to know about the app including how does it works, what are its safety measures, how beneficial it can be for brands and much more.
1. How TikTok is Different From Musical.ly?
The concept of the TikTok app is similar to the short video format of the Musical.ly app, but unlike Musical.ly, “TikTok” provides a broader range of options to its users and doesn’t only focus on the lip syncing videos.
A varied selection of sound and song snippets is provided to the TikTok users, and they can also add filters and special effects to their videos. TikTok allows its users to directly add videos from the camera roll of their phone to their TikTok profile.
TikTok added the reactions feature to its app in September last year which enabled users to record their responses on videos and shares. An additional digital feature has been added to the platform that alerts users when they spend over two hours on the platform.
Users can create a variety of videos with different genre and trending concepts including challenges, magic tricks, dance videos, and short funny snippets recordings, etc. TikTok provides a broader scope for video conception to its users which is the primary differentiating factor between both the apps.
2. How TikTok Works?
TikTok functions the same way as Musical.ly does, once you download the app and create your TikTok account you will start seeing endless video stream in the “For You” tab. Different videos will appear on your profile based on the previous content you liked.
You can also tap on the “Following” button to explore videos of the people you follow. However, if it’s your new account then click on the magnifying glass icon from the bottom left corner of your screen to search popular users, trending hashtags, trending songs, lip syncing videos, dance challenges, magic tricks, and more. If you find videos of a particular user amusing, then you can add them to your feed. Click on their handle present above the video’s caption and go to their profile to follow them.
Easy Content Creation, Sharing, and Viewing:
The TikTop app has taken the video creation to the next level and set a benchmark in the competitive market. The user just have to record anything and everything from their daily routines and post it instantly. Due to its short video format, neither the video-creation nor the watching process takes much time or effort.
Additionally, this short-form video content is played as quickly as the user opens the app. The video starts playing with a pool of entertainment. Due to its fun and addictive nature of the type of content, it is easy for people to watch video content for hours.
2.1 Create Your TikTok Videos:
To create your own TikTok video, click on the plus sign present near the magnifying glass icon to access your phone’s camera on the app. Now, use the menu present on the upper right corner of your screen to add filters, slow things down, speed things up, and edit your video.
You don’t have to worry about getting all the effects and music spot-on before you press the record button as making the perfect video takes a few tries. However, the best way of getting perfect videos is to keep trying and filming new videos. The user must be aware of editing features of the app as an editing section is a crucial part to make your video beautiful.
2.2 Manage Your TikTok Account:
TikTok entitled users to manage their videos accordingly, so if you came up with a video that makes you feel proud, click on the “Next” option from the bottom right corner of your screen to add captions, hashtags, and other details. Now, tap on “Post” option to publish the video on your profile.
You can also check the reactions on your videos by clicking on the comment bubble beside the plus sign at the bottom of your screen. The tab will also send you notifications when new videos are posted by the people you follow.
3. TikTok -Privacy Settings:
- The video creating app “TikTok” has faced a lot of controversies recently for the lack of privacy settings on its platform. Parents have shown concerns about their kids exposing their identities and sharing their personal information on the platform.
- Earlier in 2018, TikTok only provided two privacy settings to their users. One in which the videos are completely private and can be viewed only by the creator, the other in which the videos are public and can be viewed by any user. However, the main motive of every user on the social media platform is to increase the visibility of their content, and as a result, most of the people including younger children opted for the “Public” option.
- In June 2018, TikTok announced plans to change the protection settings on their platform including access to private messaging, account deletion and parental controls. The advanced features also enabled users to make their videos private and show their content to the approved followers.
3.1. Make TikTok Account Private:
To make your profile private on TikTok, go to your profile and select the three-dot icon located on the top-right corner of your screen. Click on “Privacy and Safety” option and toggle the switch to “Private Account.” You can also edit who can do a duet with you and who can send you DM’s using the privacy option.
3.2. TikTok Privacy Settings for Children Security:
The first step in keeping your child safe on the TikTok’s platform is to have the complete knowledge of the app, understand why your kids are enjoying it and for what purposes they use it.
Note: “TikTok only allows users aging 13 years or more on its platform.”
There are a few more considerations to keep in mind while discussing TikTok with your child.
- Make sure your child is old enough to use the app independently.
- In case your child has set his or her TikTok account to ‘public,’ make sure that they know the meaning of a public profile. Encouraging your kids to keep their account ‘private’ and only sharing their content with known people. You should discuss with your kids about the follow requests they approve because adding unknown users to their lists may expose them to risk.
- Advise your kids to keep their identity secure on the platform. They should avoid filming videos in their school uniform, or with any prop that can show their identity to fraudsters or unknown users.
- Additionally, instruct your children not to share any personal information including their location, street number, house number, etc and not to film videos outside their home.
- Make sure your child identifies inappropriate content and knows how to report it.
4. TikTok for Marketers and Creators:
When it comes to conventional advertising, TikTok is nowhere near YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram, but with the rapid growth of the video creating app, creators are getting a more natural way to showcase their talent globally. With the rise of TikTok popularity, marketers got one more platform to advertise their products.
Businesses have started to utilize techniques like TikTok challenges and contests to encourage users to generate content related to their brands. They are also taking the advantages of several hashtags similar to the other social media platforms to promote their marketing campaigns on TikTok.
For example, the Guess brand’s #InMyDenim challenge became popular on the platform, where users were required to wore denim clothes in the videos and use the hashtag. This was the first time when TikTok partnered with a brand in the US.
Another effective way to market your brand on TikTok is by collaborating with famous TikTok users to create promotional content for your brand. The technique is similar to the influencer marketing techniques that brands use on other social networks.
5. TikTok More Than A Passing Fad:
The current popularity of TikTok is remarkable but the possibility of the application to reach the levels achieved by apps like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram is still under question. We have seen various applications similar to TikTok which rose to popularity rapidly and then disappeared.
To maintain constant growth, TikTok needs to innovate and find new ways to engage their audiences. They also need to make the platform more market-friendly to establish the app to flourish their engagement and popularity.
By nature, the app is extremely interactive. TikTok invites content consumers to engage in entertainment and fun. Additionally, there also isn’t much pressure for users to generate a large following – at least not in the same way that other social media platforms have quantified.
Overall, we can say that TikTok is a fun, addictive, and entertaining app that has gained incredible popularity in recent times. With a wide range of features and options to create video content, the app has the potential to become one of the biggest marketing platforms. The app has performed beyond expectations in the past, and now it totally depends on its creators to maintain its reputation. So, what’s your take on the app? Join the conversation on the comments.